Author Topic: Hastings Ride - 12 May 2022  (Read 72 times)

GaryGristwood

Hastings Ride - 12 May 2022
« on: 12 May 2022, 16:05 »
The sight of Scott wearing his rain jacket at the start made me wonder if I’d missed something in the weather forecast but, thankfully, the day proved to be rain free, if a little on the chilly side when the sun went in!

Loxley, Alderminster, Crimscote and Ilmington were the early route landmarks before the first of our 3 “classified” climbs of the day, which was Foxcote - new to a few, but memorable ever after!

Over the scenic ridge road down to Charingworth was next as we made our way to Shipston and then Tysoe.

Lunch was originally planned for Tysoe Tea Rooms, but there was the “little” matter of the immediate climb out of the village on the Shennington road (yes, the one with the “wall” after the final left handed bend!) and I therefore thought it best to change the lunch venue, for what became a first Hastings visit to the Monkey Bean Cafe (just after the climb), a venue quite regularly frequented by our Mountford colleagues, so I thought it must be pretty good (and it was!).

40 minutes spent sitting in the sun there was followed by us riding through Edgehill village, then down the Edgehill, with a right before the bottom to Arlescote.

From there we made our way to the final main hill of the day at Avon Dassett, then traversing Burton Dassett Country Park and down the hill over the cattle grid (sheep and lambs in picturesque abundance!) as we made our way to North End and then Long/Pimple Lane as we headed for Gaydon.

Not far from home now and some excellent group riding saw us reach Kineton in next to no time.
From there we headed to Moreton Paddox via the Lighthorne (top) road and then the final descent down Staple Hill to take us back into Wellesbourne.

44.2 miles at 15.9mph, with 2743ft of climbing.

Riders:
Gary Gristwood (RL)
Scott Bottles
Ashley Sherren
Lynn Sherren
Gordon Matthew
Mike Massey
Peter Dewis
Kevin McFall
Steve Kirk
Paul Meade (good to welcome you to your first Hastings ride Paul!)

And finally…..black mark for the ride leader - no chips available at the lunch stop!