Author Topic: Round the Wrekin Sportif 22/5/22  (Read 40 times)

PeterCoote

Round the Wrekin Sportif 22/5/22
« on: 24 May 2022, 16:43 »
On Sunday I participated in the ‘Round the Wrekin’ Sportif, organised by Compton Care.  There was a choice of three main routes: Challenge (25 miles); Classic (64 miles); and Epic (101 miles).  Tempted by the description ‘for the well trained cyclist’, I had signed up for the Epic.

Started in Kingswinford, just outside Dudley, at 8am, the Epic route went westward out through Bridgenorth and Much Wenlock to Church Stretton.  Then came the main climb of the day, the Burway, up and over the Long Mynd, and I found it would have been helpful to be a ‘well trained YOUNGER cyclist’!  Starting with a 20% ramp it was a total climb of about 290m averaging 10%.  From the top the views were spectacular with the route down technically challenging on a narrow, gravelly, track.

After a quick stop at one of the well organised refreshment stations, I turned toward home, cycling through great scenery up and over the Wrekin to eventually arrive at Ironbridge, where we were joined by cyclists from the Classic and, just to make things interesting, cyclists from a completely different Sportif with their markers remarkably similar to the ones we were following!

With about twenty miles to go I was running on empty and lost contact with an Oxford Cycling Club cyclist who I had been riding with for about fifty miles.  Eventually I made it to the finish line, 39th out of 132, to be awarded with a medal and a chat with Hugh Porter and his wife Anita (nee Lonsbrough) — who remembers them?

Overall an excellent Sportif, great route, well organised and signed.  I would recommend it, although think carefully before choosing your route.  Strava told me I cycled 102 miles, climbed about 7700 feet, at just over 14 mph average.

GaryGristwood

Re: Round the Wrekin Sportif 22/5/22
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2022, 18:41 »
Great effort Peter Coote - well done for finishing well inside the top third!